Unable to surf the entire web because you're stuck behind a restrictive firewall? Then Shadowsocks might be your answer.
In this guide, we'll walk you through the steps to use this proxy to connect to Mullvad's servers using the OpenVPN protocol.
What is Shadowsocks?
Please see our Intro to Shadowsocks guide.
1. Install and set up OpenVPN
If you haven't already, you'll first need to set up Mullvad to work with OpenVPN. You can choose from two OpenVPN programs for macOS: Tunnelblick and Viscosity.
Follow one of our guides to help you through the process:
Once you have Mullvad connected, return here and continue with Shadowsocks.
2. Download Mullvad configuration file
- Follow this pre-configured link to our configuration generator page.
- Enter your account number and select a region. The other necessary options are already chosen.
- Download and extract the zipped files.
- Using Tunnelblick or Viscosity, import the .conf file from the extracted folder and connect to it.
3. Install Shadowsocks
Open a terminal window and run the following command:
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)" brew install shadowsocks-libev
4. Run Shadowsocks
Open the terminal and navigate to /Applications/Mullvad VPN.app/Contents/Resources
Then run the following command, replacing
xxx.xxx.xxx.xx with the IP address of the Mullvad bridge server you want to use as your entry location.
ss-local -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xx -p 443 -l 1080 -k 23#dfsbbb -m chacha20