News — 2017/12/29
For us, 2017 has been an amazing year. We focused primarily on expanding our service across the globe while also reaching some exciting goals.
First, some fun numbers:
- We increased the number of countries we offer from 17 to 27.
- We expanded our number of servers by 175%, from 59 to a total of 162.
- The Mullvad team expanded with four employees and three consultants.
- Our website is now available in 11 languages.
We also gave support to a number of projects that are helping us to make censorship and mass surveillance ineffective:
- We made a donation to the Qubes operating system.
- We donated to the Open Source Technology Improvement Fund's project audit of OpenSSL 1.1.1.
- We supported the WireGuard project with a donation.
- We supported the audit of OpenVPN 2.4 with a donation.
And of course, we made many improvements to our own service:
- We released the beta version of our next-generation app on macOS.
- We integrated the WireGuard protocol with our platform.
- We joined the world's most widely used internet exchange.
- We continued to add a variety of guides on how to increase your privacy.
- We launched our online privacy tool Am I Mullvad.
- We introduced a post-quantum secure VPN tunnel.
- We improved our credit card payment process and added the Swish payment method.
- We strengthened the Mullvad account number by lengthening it to 16 digits.
- We introduced Mullvad in retail stores.
- We established our own servers in Norway, providing faster speeds for the North Sea region.
As we wrap up the year, we extend a big thanks to you, our customers, for the continued word-of-mouth recommendations. Enjoy these final days of 2017 and have a Happy New Year!