This Windows guide explains how to connect to Mullvad’s WireGuard® servers.
Choose one of the two following options. Do not use them simultaneously.
Option 1: use the Mullvad app
If you’re using the Mullvad VPN app, follow our guide on how to turn on WireGuard in the app.
Option 2: use the WireGuard app
Download the WireGuard app
Download the official WireGuard app for Windows (available in 32- and 64-bit versions) from the WireGuard website and run the installation.
Generate and import configuration file
- In a browser, navigate to our WireGuard configuration generator.
Log in by entering your Mullvad account number.
Under Platform, select Windows.
Under Key pair, select Generate a new key pair. (Generate a separate key pair for each device that you use.)
From the Server drop-down menu, select All.
Click Download to save the file. You may need to wait a few seconds for the file to begin downloading.
Open the WireGuard app.
Click Add Tunnel, select the downloaded file, then click Open.
Connect and disconnect
- Open the WireGuard app.
- Select a Server in the list to the left
- Press "Activate" to connect, and "Deactivate" to disconnect
- You're all set! You can visit our Connection check to check your connection.
Using multiple devices?
If you're running WireGuard on multiple devices, generate a separate key pair for each device. You will otherwise likely run into connectivity issues.
Is it working?
While on your device, visit our Connection check to get a quick overview of your Mullvad-WireGuard connection status. In addition, it's a good time to check if your browser is leaking information and therefore jeopardizing your privacy.
- WireGuard homepage
- WireGuard whitepaper (PDF)
- WireGuard installation instructions
- WireGuard quickstart instructions
- Donate to WireGuard development
- Formal verification of WireGuard protocol
- wg(8) homepage
- wg-quick(8) homepage
"WireGuard" is a registered trademark of Jason A. Donenfeld.