This guide for Android users explains how to connect to Mullvad’s WireGuard® servers.
Option 1: use the Mullvad app
The Mullvad VPN app for Android only uses WireGuard, so all you need to do is connect..
How to manage WireGuard keys
Here’s how to access the WireGuard key management options:
- Tap the gear icon.
- Tap Advanced.
- Tap WireGuard key.
In the menu, your current public key and when it was created are displayed.
Three buttons are also available:
- Regenerate key: Click this to replace your current key. This will also replace your internal static IP address.
- Verify key: This will verify your current key.
- Manage keys: This option will open up your account page on our website so you can get an overview of all your keys.
Option 2: use the WireGuard app
The WireGuard app for Android requires Android 5 and newer.
Download WireGuard app
There are two ways you can get the WireGuard app for Android:
Generate a configuration file
- In a browser window on your Android device, open our WireGuard configuration generator.
- If you’re not already logged in to our website, you will be prompted to do so.
- Tap Generate key. (Generate a separate key for each device that you use.)
- Select your desired exit location.
- Tap the Download button, and save it to your device.
Import the configuration file
- Open the WireGuard app.
- Tap the add :plus: button.
- Tap Import from file or archive.
- Select the config or zip file that you downloaded. The location server(s) will appear in the app, for example "mullvad-se2"
Connect and disconnect
- In the WireGuard app, tap the toggle button next to the location server you wish to use.
- You will either connect or disconnect. That’s it!
- To check your connection status, visit am.i.mullvad.net.
Using multiple devices?
If you're running the WireGuard app on multiple devices, you need to generate a separate key pair for each device. You will otherwise likely run into connectivity issues.
Is it working?
While on your device, visit am.i.mullvad.net to get a quick overview of your Mullvad-WireGuard connection status. It's also a good time to check if your browser is leaking information and therefore jeopardizing your privacy.
- WireGuard homepage
- WireGuard Whitepaper (PDF)
- Installation Instructions
- Quickstart Instructions
- Donate to Upstream WireGuard Development
- Formal Verification of WireGuard Protocol
- wg(8) man page
- wg-quick(8) man page
"WireGuard" is a registered trademark of Jason A. Donenfeld.