This guide explains how to install and use the Mullvad VPN app on iOS devices (iPhone/iPad).
The Mullvad app needs iOS 12 or newer. If you have an earlier version then see our guide for using OpenVPN with iOS 9 to iOS 12.
Download and install
- On your iOS device, open the App Store.
- Search for Mullvad VPN.
- Tap GET to download the app.
- Once the app has finished downloading and installing, tap OPEN to launch it.
Can’t find Mullvad VPN in the App Store? Try the link to the App Store on our Download page. Note that some country restrictions prevent the app from being available worldwide.
Quick-start user’s guide
Enter your Mullvad account number, then tap on the blue Return key on the keyboard. See the FAQ section below if you get an error. If you don’t have an account, tap Create account and one will automatically be generated.
Add time to your account
You won’t be able to connect unless you have purchased time for your account. You can do this in two ways:
- Log in on our website using your account number and purchase time for your account. Here you also have the option to buy an automatic recurring subscription with your credit card or PayPal.
- Make an in-app purchase: Tap the gear icon in the top right corner of the app and then Account. Then tap the green Add 30 days time button and then tap Subscribe. Note that in-app purchases are non-recurring one-time payments. Make sure to write down your Mullvad account number for safe keeping.
You will see the status of your connection on the app's connection screen. If you are disconnected, the top bar of the app will be red and "Unsecure connection" will be displayed on the connection screen.
To connect to Mullvad for the first time follow these steps.
- Tap Secure connection.
- The app will ask for your permission to add VPN configurations to your device.
- Tap Allow.
- Enter your passcode or use your Touch ID to add the VPN configurations.
Once you are connected, the top bar of the app will be green, a VPN icon will display in the top notification bar of your device (pull down the Notification Center if you do not see it), and “Secure connection” will be displayed on the connection screen.
By default, the app will initially connect to a server in Sweden. If you choose a different location, the app will remember your latest selection for the next time you start the app.
If you use an iPad then select your location in the right sidebar. If you use an iPhone then tap the Select location button. Then scroll and tap the country that you prefer and the app will reconnect automatically.
Tapping the drop-down icon (∨) to the right of a location will reveal cities and even specific servers that you can choose and connect to.
Mullvad App settings
The Settings menu can be accessed by tapping the gear icon in the top right corner on the connection screen.
Here you can view your account number and when your paid time runs out. Tap the account number to copy it to your device’s clipboard.
You can also tap on Add 30 days time to add time for your account via an in-app purchase. If you tap on Restore purchases nothing will happen as Apple does not have your Mullvad account number. If you have logged in with the wrong account number you can tap Log out. Make sure that you write down the current account number first if it has time on it.
In Preferences you can find options to enable or disable Block ads and Block trackers. If you enable this then it will use our filtered DNS on the Mullvad servers to prevent some ads and trackers to load in your apps. The filter lists we use are published at our GitHub.
Here you can view, regenerate and verify your WireGuard® key.
Tapping Regenerate key will also replace your internal static IP address on the Mullvad server. The key is rotated automatically every four days.
Report a problem
If you are having any issues you can let us know by sending a problem report with the app's anonymized log. Enter your email address if you want a reply. Describe your problem in English or Swedish. You can also tap on View app logs to see the log yourself.
Uninstall the app
- On the home screen, tap and hold the Mullvad VPN icon until a menu pops up.
- Tap Delete App.
- Tap Delete to remove the app from your device. This will also remove the local log files, cache, and settings.
The app says "Login failed. Too many public WireGuard keys".
Please log in on our website and remove one or more WireGuard keys on the page Manage ports and WireGuard keys.
I purchased more time for my Mullvad account but the app still says that the account is "Out of time".
You can update the time by logging out of the app (remember to write down your account number first) and then log in again.
"WireGuard" is a registered trademark of Jason A. Donenfeld.