This guide explains how to install and uninstall the Mullvad VPN app for macOS users.
- You need macOS Mojave (10.14) or later. If you don't have that you can use Tunnelblick instead.
- The Mullvad app is Apple Silicon native since version 2021.4 and works on both Intel Macs and M1 Macs.
Download and install the app
- Download the latest version of the app from our website.
- Navigate to the folder where the downloaded file is located and double-click the .pkg file.
Launch app for the first time
For some versions of macOS, start the app by navigating to your app folder and clicking on the Mullvad icon.
The first time you run the app, a notice will pop up. Click on Open to continue.
Once the app starts, you will see an icon of a red padlock in the menu bar. Click on the padlock to display the app's login screen.
You can uninstall the app in two different ways.
Uninstall option 1
To uninstall the Mullvad app and also remove the local log files, cache and settings do the following.
- Make sure that you have written down your Mullvad account number.
- Open the Terminal app and run the following command:
- If it asks for a password then use your Mac login password.
Uninstall option 2
This option only uninstalls the app. The local log files, cache, and settings will remain on your device.
- Open the macOS Applications folder.
- Find the Mullvad VPN app and drag it to the trash.
- Lastly, choose Finder > Empty Trash.