Our public DNS service (currently in beta) offers DNS over HTTPS (DoH) and DNS over TLS (DoT), with QNAME minimization and basic ad blocking. It has been audited by the security experts at Assured. Read more about DoH and DoT.
Two different services
Ad-blocking version – adblock.doh.mullvad.net
Without ad blocking – doh.mullvad.net
How to use our DNS service
- In a Firefox browser window, click the menu button and choose Options or Preferences.
- In the search box, type “network”, then click on the Settings button in the results.
- At the bottom, check the box next to Enable DNS over HTTPS.
- Next to Use Provider, choose Custom.
- In the text box that appears, enter
- Click OK.
- In the address bar of the browser, type in
about:configand hit Enter.
- If a warning pops up, click “Accept the Risk and Continue”.
- In the search box, type
- Change the value to 3 and press Enter. (this will disable the unencrypted fallback).
Follow the steps to use DNS over TLS:
- Open your device’s Settings.
- Navigate to Network & internet > Advanced > Private DNS.
- Select Private DNS provider hostname.
- In the textbox, type in
- Click Save.
How do I know it’s working?
After you’ve followed the instructions, go to https://mullvad.net/check. You should have no DNS leaks. Click on “No DNS leaks” for details; the server that is listed should have “dns” in its name, for example “se-mma-dns-001.mullvad.net”.
DNS server locations
The nearest DNS server will be used. If one server is down, the next-closest will be used and so on.
Keep in mind that nearest is in terms of networking hops, this can differ between your ISP and their
connectivity to our hosting providers.
Our servers are located in
- United Kingdom
- United States (NYC and LAX).