OpenVPN installation on Windows
This Windows-specific guide walks you through the steps for connecting to our servers using OpenVPN.
Use an updated version
OpenVPN versions below 2.3.10 will not perform well, so be sure to run a later version.
- Download and install OpenVPN.
- Navigate to our Configuration files page.
- Follow the instructions on that page for downloading a configuration file and connecting.
- Return to this page and read on for optional settings.
Turning on DNS protection
This option requires Windows Filtering Platform to be enabled.
If you want to enable protection against DNS queries on network interfaces other than the TAP interface, edit the configuration file by adding "block-outside-dns". Then save and reconnect.
Enabling auto-start on login
Follow these steps to set OpenVPN to start when you log in to your computer.
- Click on the Windows Start button. Type "tasks" and then click on Schedule tasks.
- Under Actions, click on Create Basic Task.
- Fill out a name for the task and click Next.
- Select When I log on and click Next.
- Selct Start a program and click Next.
- Click on Browse, then navigate to C:\program files\OpenVPN\bin\ and select openvpn-gui.exe. Then click Open.
- In the Add arguments field, type --connect "mullvad_se.ovpn" (with quotation marks) and then click Next (replace the file name with that of the configuration file you downloaded).
- Check the box for Open the Properties dialogue for this task... and click Finish.
- Check the box for Run with highest priviledges.
- Click on the triggers tab, select At log on and then click Edit.
- Click on Any user.
- Under Advanced settings use the drop-down menu for Delay task for: and set it to 30 seconds, then click OK.
- Select the task again.
- On the toolbar, select Action > Properties > Conditions.
- Uncheck the box for Start the task only if the computer is on AC Power.
- Close the task scheduler.
If you get an error that states "OpenVPN gui is already running," then do the following:
- Click on Start. Type "msconfig" and then hit Enter.
- Click on the Startup tab.
- Uncheck OPENVPN-GUI and then click on OK.
- Either click Restart or Exit without restart.
Is your browser leaking?
Use our Am I Mullvad tool to see if your browser is leaking information and therefore jeopardizing your privacy. This can occur even while connected to Mullvad.