Viscosity on macOS
This guide will help you connect to Mullvad VPN servers using the OpenVPN client Viscosity on your macOS.
1. Download Mullvad configuration file
- Visit our configuration file generator page to download a configuration file.
- Enter your account number and choose your configuration options.
- Download and extract the zipped files.
2. Install Viscosity
- Download and install Viscosity.
- Open the folder where the file was downloaded and double-click the .dmg file.
- Follow the on-screen installation instructions.
3. Import configuration file
- Click on the Viscosity icon up in the menu bar and choose Preferences...
- In the pop-up window, click the plus sign found in the bottom right-hand corner, then choose Import Connection > From File...
- In the new window, navigate to your extracted configuration files folder, click on the .ovpn file and then click Open.
- Click OK in the Connection Imported dialog box.
4. Connect to Mullvad
- Click on the Viscosity icon up in the menu bar and choose the Mullvad server that you imported.
- Follow any on-screen instructions until you are connected.
How to add firewall rules (optional)
The following instructions will block everything in and out except via the IP address specified.
- Open the file /etc/pf.conf and edit it so that it contains the following rules (the ordering is important!), replacing xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the IP address of the Mullvad server you wish to use.
block drop all
pass on lo0
pass on utun0
pass out proto udp from any to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 1300
- Once completed, open a terminal window and run
sudo pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf to import the rules.
- Reboot your computer to activate these changes.
- The firewall is turned off by default. Turn it on by running
sudo pfctl -e.
Is your browser putting your privacy at risk?
Even while you're connected to Mullvad, your browser could still be leaking information and therefore jeopardizing your privacy. Visit am.i.mullvad.net to get a quick overview of your connection status.