Mullvad works on iPhone, iPad, and other iOS devices. Follow these steps for a stable and secure installation.
Set up OpenVPN on your device
From the App Store, search for and install OpenVPN Connect on your device. OpenVPN Connect is the application Mullvad uses to make a VPN connection on mobile devices.
Configure Mullvad on your device (scroll to the bottom for iOS 13 instructions)
Note: Please use Safari in the following instructions as some users have reported that other browsers don't work.
- From your iOS device, navigate to our configuration files page.
- Fill out the form and then tap Download.
- In the next window that opens, tap on the Open in "OpenVPN" link to open the downloaded configuration file in OpenVPN.
- Once the OpenVPN app opens, tap on ADD to add the configuration to the app.
- In the form that appears, fill out the following:
- enter your Mullvad account number as Username
- enter m as password (only the single letter m)
- check the Save password check box.
- Tap ADD.
Connect to Mullvad VPN on your device
Tap the toggle switch next to the profile name in order to connect (do the same to disconnect).
To edit the profile, tap the arrow (>) to the right of the profile.
Am I connected?
Your OpenVPN app screen should look like this:
Before you start browsing the internet, make sure that your VPN is connected. Do this by checking the status bar of your device. You should see a rectangular icon that says "VPN".
Manage multiple configurations
If you want to connect through a different country, just repeat the steps for configuring Mullvad on your device.
Increase your online privacy
To increase your privacy, use your browser's privacy mode. To do this in Safari, open the browser and tap the pages icon (shaped as two overlapping squares).
Tap "Private" to open a private window in privacy mode.
Notice that the Safari browser window has a dark border to indicate that you are in privacy mode.
Is your browser leaking?
Use our Am I Mullvad tool to see if your browser is leaking information and therefore jeopardizing your privacy. This can occur even while connected to Mullvad.
I'm unable to see the OpenVPN menu under settings
If you are unable to see the OpenVPN menu under settings, then please reset the iOS device by pressing and holding the sleep/wake button, slide the on-screen slider to turn off the device and wait a few seconds, press and hold the sleep/wake button again until the Apple logo appears on the screen. After that OpenVPN should be visable under settings
Another option is to quit Settings by double-tapping the home button, and then dragging Settings out of the list of apps. The next time you launch Settings, your app's settings ought to show up.
I'm unable to send email with the Mail app
Change your smtp settings to the one provided by your email provider.
- Open Settings.
- Click on E-mail.
- Click on Accounts.
- Click on the provider that is added.
- Click on account.
- Click on SMTP.
- Click on the SMTP-server for the provider and enter the provided port.
iOS 13 users:
After you downloaded the zip file containing ALL locations in your Safari browser.
1. Click the down arrow on the top right corner.
2. Tap "mullvad_config_ios_all".
3. Tap mullvad_config_ios_all.zip (which will unzip the file and create a folder called "mullvad_config_ios_all").
4. Tap the unziped folder.
5. Tap on any tunnel name e.g mullvad_CA.
6. Tap the icon at the bottom left (if this button is not responding, please close the browser and start from step one again).
7. Swipe the apps icon to the left util you see "More", then choose Copy to OpenVPN.
You should see the tunnel can be added into openvpn.