This guide explains how to install and uninstall the Mullvad VPN app for Android users.
After installing the app proceed to the guide Using Mullvad VPN on Android.
What this guide covers
- Installation requirements
- Where to download and install:
- - Download on Google Play
- - Download .apk file from our website
- - Download with F-Droid
- Uninstall the app
Your device needs to run Android 8 or newer.
Where to download and install
You can get the app from Google Play, download the .apk file from our website/github, or install it with the F-Droid app. We cover all methods below.
When upgrading from a previous version you must download it from the same place that you made the first installation, or you have to uninstall the currently installed version first. For example if you downloaded it from Google Play and want to upgrade to the latest .apk version.
Download on Google Play
- On your Android device, tap this link to open the Mullvad VPN app in the Google Play Store.
- Tap the Install button.
- Once the app has finished downloading, tap Open to launch it.
Download .apk file from our website
- On your Android device, go to our Download page and tap on Download .apk.
- Open the downloaded .apk file and follow the prompts to install the app.
- If you receive a warning like the one below, tap Settings.
4. Enable Allow from this source, then tap the back button to resume installation.
5. Once the installation is complete, you can launch the app directly.
Download with F-Droid
F-Droid is a community-maintained software repository for Android, similar to the Google Play store. It contains free and open source apps. Our app is built from source by F-Droid.
- On your Android device, go to the F-Droid website and tap on Download F-Droid.
- Open the downloaded .apk and tap on Install. You may receive an error message saying that your device is not allowed to install unknown apps from this source. In that case tap on Settings in the dialog box to display the Android app settings and enable Allow from this source. Then go back and tap on Install again.
- Open the F-Droid app and tap on the green search button.
- Search for "mullvad" to find our app, tap on it and then tap on Install.
- You may again receive an error message saying that your device is not allowed to install unknown apps from this source. In that case tap on Settings in the dialog box to display the Android app settings and enable Allow from this source. Then go back and tap on Install for the Mullvad VPN app again.
- Tap on Open to launch the app or find it in the Android app drawer or on the homescreen.
Uninstall the app
Through Google Play Store
- Open the Play Store app.
- Tap the menu icon (☰).
- Tap My apps & games.
- Under the list of Installed apps, find and tap Mullvad VPN.
- Tap on Uninstall and confirm by tapping OK.
Through device settings
- Open your device's Settings.
- Scroll down to Apps and open it.
- Find Mullvad VPN and tap to open it
- Tap on Uninstall.
- Open the F-Droid app.
- Tap on Uninstall.