This guide for iOS (iPhone) users explains how to connect to Mullvad’s WireGuard® servers by using the official WireGuard app.
Download WireGuard app
Download and install the WireGuard app from the App Store.
Generate and import configuration file
- In a browser window on your iOS device, navigate to our WireGuard configuration generator.
- Enter your Mullvad account number in the Account number field.
- Click on Generate a new key pair. (Generate a separate key pair for each device that you use.)
- From the Server drop-down menu, select All (other options currently don't work).
- Click on Download and wait 5–10 seconds for the file to begin downloading.
- When prompted, select OK to open the .zip file in the WireGuard app.
- Click on Allow when WireGuard asks to add VPN configurations.
- You may need to enter your device's passcode in order to confirm.
Connect and disconnect
- Open the WireGuard app.
- Click on the button next to the WireGuard server you wish to use in order to connect or disconnect.
- You're all set! You can visit am.i.mullvad.net to check your connection.
Using multiple devices?
If you're running WireGuard on multiple devices, generate a separate key pair for each device. You will otherwise likely run into connectivity issues.
Is it working?
While on your device, visit am.i.mullvad.net to get a quick overview of your Mullvad-WireGuard connection status. In addition, it's a good time to check if your browser is leaking information and therefore jeopardizing your privacy.
Want to access your local network when connected with WireGuard?
- Click on the server profile
- Click on the edit icon
- Click on the "Exclude private IPs"
- Add 10.64.0.0/10 to the Allowed IPs field.
- Click on the Save icon
- Disable and then Enable the server profile that you edited
- WireGuard homepage
- WireGuard whitepaper (PDF)
- WireGuard installation instructions
- WireGuard quickstart instructions
- Donate to WireGuard development
- Formal verification of WireGuard protocol
- wg(8) homepage
- wg-quick(8) homepage
"WireGuard" is a registered trademark of Jason A. Donenfeld.