What is Shadowsocks?
Shadowsocks is an open-source proxy project built with the intention of circumventing internet censorship.
Advantages of Shadowsocks
The Shadowsocks proxy makes it difficult for firewalls to differantiate the internet traffic, which makes it a popular choice for users located in countries that censor internet traffic. In addition, it's high performing and has support for new ciphers.
Why combine Shadowsocks with a VPN?
Although Shadowsocks may allow you to slip past censors, using it together with a VPN keeps your browsing private and anonymous.
Shadowsocks in Mullvad's bridge feature
Using Shadowsocks with Mullvad VPN means utilizing our bridge feature. This is because we run Shadowsocks only on our bridge servers. Your traffic will first enter the bridge server that you choose and then exit at your chosen VPN server location.
Choose your setup to get started:
- Mullvad desktop app: activate Bridge mode to use the Shadowsocks proxy
- Shadowsocks with the Mullvad desktop app CLI
- Shadowsocks with OpenVPN on Android
- Shadowsocks with OpenVPN on Windows
- Shadowsocks with OpenVPN on Linux
- Shadowsocks with OpenVPN on macOS (with Tunnelblick or Viscosity)