This guide explains how to install and uninstall the Mullvad VPN app for macOS users.
- You need macOS X Yosemite (10.10) or later.
- If you still have the old, deprecated Mullvad client on your computer, you first need to uninstall it. Otherwise, you will run into issues with the app.
Download and install the app
- Download the latest version of the app from our website.
- Navigate to the folder where the downloaded file is located and double-click the .pkg file.
Launch app for the first time
For some versions of macOS, start the app by navigating to your app folder and clicking on the Mullvad icon.
For other versions, click on your Launchpad (or press F4). In this window, click on the Mullvad icon to start the app. If you don't see the icon, use the search field to type in 'Mullvad'.
The first time you run the app, a notice will pop up. Click on Open to continue.
Once the app starts, you will see an icon of a red padlock in the menu bar. Click on the padlock to display the app's login screen.
Uninstall the app
You can uninstall the app two different ways.
Uninstall option 1
To uninstall the app and also remove the local log files, cache, and settings, open the terminal and run the script
Uninstall option 2
This option only uninstalls the app. The local log files, cache, and settings will remain on your device.
- Open the macOS Applications folder.
- Find the Mullvad VPN app and drag it to the trash.
- Lastly, choose Finder > Empty Trash.